Sunday, November 27, 2005

 

hammerin' nails and speaking in tongues

I fear that my internet presence is miserably meta-critical. What can I say? It is my one faculty that doesn't suffer much in the way of cultural relativism. Criticizing precisely and thoughtfully is the one true thing taught by college. It also happens to be totally absent of use in professional life in one's 20s/30s (unless you are a management consultant in which case you have other problems). So today's post will be about things I like:

1. I like the new york times. although I am aware that personal essay pieces are bit elitist, and the food section often makes things out of stuff I couldn't dream of buying, I think it is a great paper. I know it is fashionable to trash the times, but after a sojourn into slate, and wonkette, and rawstory, the times is full, and real, new beautifully written, with broad subject matter. It is great. It was in fact the inspiration for this post. It generates news rather than commenting on it.

2. I like thanksgiving. I just made a thanksgiving for my canadian compatriots up here. Their version is in October. I like food, I like a non-psuedo-religious holiday, I like being thankful for what I have. And making turkey isn't nearly as hard as our culture makes it out to be. (Maybe it was beginners luck.)

3. I like the bus. I like being able to read while I commute. I like that small swell of pride knowing I didn't drive. (I know that feeling is meaningless if the deluge of fossil fuels, but I don't care.)
3a. I like my bike, but not in the winter in winnepeg.

4. I like dairy queen blizzards. McFlurry:Blizzard in ice cream terms the same as it is meterological ones. small and weak by comparison.

5. I like talking to people who don't make me feel like I have to prove to them I am worthwhile.


6. I like hippies, but I don't think I am one anymore (or maybe ever was). I like the aura of optimism. I long for it.

7. I like the feeling when I finished a "good" book and I liked it. I didn't just read it because I thought it would make me smarter or more able to impress the people from point #5.

8. I like exercise, even vain, meaningless, stairclimber exercise, but not as much other kinds.

9. I like remembering that I am not alone.

10. I like the fact that this post is pretty lame, and I couldn't care less.
I am normally anti-meta-list-closing-bullet, but that really did pop into my head right after I typed in #9.

Comments:
Regarding 3a:

You haven't really lived as a cyclist until you've blown by gridlocked traffic on the Roosevelt Bridge into DC, all the while giving huge smiles to all of the suckers steaming in their cars burning $3 a gallon gas.

I generally prefer not to take pleasure in the misery of others, but in this case, bring on the Schadenfreude.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?