Saturday, November 12, 2005

 

Hippie Dream

Last night I went to Times Change(d) High and Lonesome Club for Neilfest. (http://www.highandlonesomeclub.ca/) It was the 60th birthday of Neil Young (pride of Winnipeg); consequently, this bar organized local bands to play neil young songs all night. There is a band playing "Zuma" in its entirety tonight, but I am not going.

Highlights included Ted Allen's jangly "Homegrown," The Turnstiles's (presumably named for the "On The Beach" track) version of "Lookout Joe," and The Perpetrators ballistic take on "Welfare Mothers." http://www.perps.ca/review_SEE.html "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World" was not played for obvious hipster reasons.

It was really fun to see people celebrating the breadth of Neil Young's work instead of just the twee californian-harmony neil.

I don't normally enjoy live music. I usually find that about halfway through I am uncomfortable, tired, and want to leave. but I stayed till 2 am, went good and deaf because of it, and never seriously considered leaving early. (Why can't I ever remember my earplugs for shows?) I think the $3CAN/shot Jack Daniels helped.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?