Tuesday, November 29, 2005

 

N.E.R.D.

It's snowing again here.

I am boiling my turkey carcass.

I am studying satellite pictures of ice.

My new theory is that the video for "my humps" is actually very subtle irony and the black eyed peas are smarter than I am.

I am excited for "the inner ape" as well as zadie smith's new book (which I refuse to even think about until it is out in paperback--extortionists)

There is a townes van zandt movie playing at the winnipeg art movie house on friday. that should be fun.

My labmate has a theory that the quality of your graduate work is most successfully predicted by the total number of productive hours you spend at work on it. More than intelligence, institution, or anything else. I find that surprising, but quite possibly true. just maybe it is the best predictor of the success of everything.

Someone has to score in the 10th percentile of the GRE, but who is that? That seems sortof sad. At least for the SAT, there is a group of people who don't care or who are trying to qualify for athletics who occupy the low percentiles. But with the GRE, one assumes that everyone wants to be there. Perhaps it is due to greater specialization: humanities students tank the math, and their admissions officers don't care. and foreign math/science students tank the verbal and their admissions officers don't care. A victimless system. it's a nice vision anyway. The test has the appearance of a societal stratifier, but no one has to fail. Interesting.

Comments:
I wonder how the black eyed peas faired on their SATs. I'm excited for the new Zadie Smith novel also. But I read a so-so review. But that review was in the Austin Stateman, so who knows. An explanation for the bottom 10th percentile? Computer jitters?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?