Saturday, January 07, 2006

 

If I'm going to be impotent I want to look it

I want to change the name of the Washington Redskins. It is indefensibly offensive. The argument that it holds no racist connotations to the user of the name is probably true, but imagine the feelings of those depicted. I grimace every time Canadians start their anti-american diatribes that seem to define their national identity. They bear no malice toward me, and I am from the dominant of our two cultures, and still I feel uneasy in their culture. Once you have taken the 30 seconds to imagine being an american indian looking at the logo, there is no way to think it is harmless. My aunt is right. However, there seems to be no appropriate outlet for this. To obsessively correct the speech of others has been so thoroughly demonized by the mid-90s Ani DiFranco army that it is untenable. Ignoring the problem is obviously not a solution. SImply asking for a change seems unlikely without some economic impetus, because ultimately, the issue lies in the fact that the team is owned privately, and that the recognizability of the logo is a huge moneymaker. so clearly, not purchasing skins apparel is a start. Not attending games would be a help as well. A painful step, I admit. I am willing to let myself slide on watching, because I don't have a neilsen box and I am not in the market for a pickup truck or a big TV so clearly I am not effected by the advertising. The problem seems too big.

I am so sick of feeling sad and empathetic about stuff. Katrina, Darfur. For fucks sake, is feeling bad better than not feeling bad when nothing happens. Aren't they the same thing pragmatically.

Comments:
Yeah, I agree. It's pretty much morally indefensible at this point, but money is money and the team merch is pretty lucrative. That said, if I were Snyder I'd be looking for a new name for the team.
 
Better than boycotting: come up with a new name and snazzy logo, print up a bunch of t-shirts, and try selling them outside the stadium. Ours is such a consumer culture that not buying something isn't particularly noticeable unless you do it on a massive scale. The return on investment may be not so great and you may risk some sort of violent physical aggression on the part of die-hard fans, but wouldn't it be kind of fun to rename the Redskins yourself?
 
How about the Lobbyists? Oh, yeah, that is offensive too (unlike the team today). But it still keeps the money flowing to our boys in Washington.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?