Monday, March 06, 2006

 

Of LaLaLand and LaVar

As a perennial no-talent, all-heart athlete (at least after the age of 15), I am normally against flamboyant individuals who undermine the larger team. But I LOVE LaVar Arrington, and I will be sad to see him go. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2355921 He has been the only consistent and defining point on the team in the last 5 years (besides Ray Brown who is apparently eating the same avocado and flax seed as Julio Franco).

In a totally unrelated story, I only saw 10 minutes of the Oscars, but they involved an incredibly self-congratulatory montage about politics and social agitation in cinema that just screamed "what we do is relevant and important...right? we aren't just barbie dolls...really." This silly bit was followed by the president of the academy making an empassioned speech about how the aesthetic virtues of the theater would never be eclipsed by DVD viewing. Althouh his tone was exhortative, the shrill pleading was all too obvious. Although the Bush Administration has made the creation of a desired reality through repetitive assertion into an art form, it is not a democratic meme available to all. sorry guys.

Comments:
According to one of my friends, quite a number of presenters had to read statements extolling the virtues of the theatre as opposed to DVD. He said that many of them looked rather embarrassed to be saddled with pro-theatre propaganda.

I don't quite get it. Do people laugh when they watch it on DVD? Do you get paid? Well, then tell them to have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up! (TM Eddie Murphy as Richard Pryor) I admit to turning into my dad when it comes to movies in the theatre, but if I can watch the movie on my own schedule for 1/3 of the price and it now comes out on DVD like 2 months after the theatre, what are the "virtues" of the theatre? Especially since I'm single, so I don't need cheap, and by "cheap" I mean "convenient," date ideas.

Also, speaking of athletics, toss-up: Which ACC basketball player could 8yearoldsdude beat by more: Lee Melchionni or Travis Garrison? Also, shut up, Vitale! If Melchionni slides along the floor with the ball, that's not brilliant hustle, it's fucking travelling.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?