Friday, April 21, 2006

 
so apparently vid sees politics as a game to be played well or poorly. patch sees politics as a vehicle for the application of different economic theories. You are what you eat, friends.

Thanks, all, for your concern about my general hurtness. Everything is on the mend.

Scott Weiland is totally a rockstar (literal and figurative). Velvet Revolver was covering "Surrender" on some BS cable channel like Spike, and I found him electric. It is sad he never reached his potential--The Doc Gooden of Grunge.

While thinking about rock on tv, Dave Navarro is so hollywood it is ridiculous. He looks like a fakeplastic lead guitarist.

What is it about "surrender" that everyone digs so much? Written by cheap trick but covered by simple plan, warrant, velvet revolver, less than jake, zebrahead, and marilyn manson. Is it just the chorus (Mommy’s alright, daddy’s alright, they just seem a little weird. Surrender, surrender, but don’t give yourself away, ay, ay, ay) that gets people because the middle-way message of middle class rock endures through time? The rest of the lyrics are a dated mishmash of vietnam-era allusions that don't make much sense. It is catchy as hell.

I was in The Pyramid last night for Mod Night (60s-70s). The DJ dropped The Strokes' "Last Night." The floor blew up because it is the end of undergrad finals and the crowd was young. The track sounded really tinny next to the bowie, and I couldn't help but feel like the DJ was giving us the finger. It forced me to rethink my general acceptance of Dance Rock.

Comments:
You know what you do when the DJ is giving you the finger? I think you have to hang the DJ.

And "Dream Police" is totally the best Cheap Trick song. Speaking of Cheap Trick, for anyone who wanted to know, the "live at Budokai" line in Wayne's World is a Cheap Trick reference.

I think someone should officially decree that Scott Weiland has to go back to STP, the Guns and Roses guys have to go back to Guns and Roses, Chris Cornell has to go back to Soundgarden, and the RATM guys have to go back to Zack De La Rocha because this "whole is WAY lesser than the sum of it's parts" "supergroup" thing with Velvet Revolver and Audioslave needs to stop. Now that's wasted potential. I was going to say that Scott Weiland needs to stop trashing everyone who dares be critical of him on Velvet Revolver's website, but both the kettle and Monica would have something to say to me about that.
 
I've grown to like the occasional dance rock song or group. Bands like the Strokes, the Killers, and Interpol aren't who I normally listen to, but I think they make great music to dance to or, in my case, to put on your workout cd or playlist. I did 45 minutes on the rowing machine last night, and Someday, Mr. Brightside, and Not Even Jail helped me get through it!

As for the Strokes, I think that "Someday," "Hard to Explain" and a bunch of songs off "Room on Fire" are better for dancing/working out than is "Last Night."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?