Sunday, April 02, 2006

 
so friday I took a very middle of the road stance about the whole duke thing. I am trying to be fair to these particular students, and I still am. I think I was mild, because I have always disliked duke on a highly superficial, intercollegiate athletic level, and did not want my accusations to be colored by my feelings about christian laettner and Billy Packer's paeans to Coach K. But the more I read about this story the more outrageous it becomes. But the fact that so many people are outraged says something. This story seems to dovetail best with Hurricane Katrina. Things are just flat-out terrible, and I guess I don't think about it nearly enough.

Comments:
Be outraged! Having recently taken it upon myself to speak up against someone who's committed some comparatively minor offenses, I've realized just how easy people can minimize how bad their actions are if there aren't enough outraged people to make them come clean.
 
I think you're doing a great job of looking at it from both potential sides, so don't feel bad about taking a middle of the road approach at this point. The sad part about it is that society as a whole loses no matter which side is telling the truth. I have no words in which I can describe how horrible a racially-motivated rape would be if true. On the other hand, if not true, falsely accusing an easily unlikeable target isn't much better. So I guess I'm outraged either way, and can't "root" for either scenario to be true. Therefore, middle of the road I try to remain until more evidence comes out.
 
Balance is needed. Let's wait until the DNA tests come back and the miserable human-beings who did this horrific crime are identified before burning images in effigy. We shouldn't paint the whitest and wealthiest team sport with such a wide brush as arrogant racists.

I mean, if I choked, raped, and sodomized someone, I would really hope that the 45 guys who I drank with and practiced with would stay silent to protect me against the punishment that I deserved.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?