Thursday, April 06, 2006

 
Well, the duke season has now been canceled and the coach has resigned after some new revelations about emails and other paraphernalia associated with the players were discovered. I actually think the email is a joke, but even that fact means that something is clearly wrong.
http://deadspin.com/sports/lacrosse/duke-lacrosse-case-somehow-gets-uglier-165330.php
http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2006/04/coachresigns.html
I still will yet not say that they are racially motivated gang rapists, but I think it is safe to say that there are a lot of complete jerks on the team.

Did anyone read "I am Charlotte Simmons?" The more speculative columnists have been relating anecdotes about how the book is set at Duke and about Wolfe' treatment of lacrosse players. The book was poorly reviewed in general. Criticisms usually centered around an over-the-hill Wolfe drownign in a sea of young adult tittilation. It is tempting to vindicate him now as a precient cultural critic, but that may be a bit of "sum of all fears" syndrome. (Tom Clancy's "the sum of all fears" was a fictional book written in the 1990s which detailed using a plane as a bomb to blow up the super bowl).

it was jacket-free weather in the 'peg yesterday. I got to attend a seminar on how to address scientific findings to first nations (canadian native americans), I found "Bat out of hell" at a used cd store for $2.99 CND, and mama cooked the breakfast with no hog.

Comments:
OK, but a Clancy nerd really has to step in here. In Sum of All Fears, terrorists use a small nuclear bomb hidden in a van to blow up the Super Bowl. The plane thing is used to destroy the Capitol during a State of the Union type address at the end of Debt of Honor. That is all.
 
thank you, guyon. I had moment of hesitation when I realized that I hadn't read either book, but I decided to go aheadand make the comparison anyway. Thanks for clearing things up.
 
From the Washington Post:

"Dave Urick, the men's lacrosse coach at Georgetown, expressed sadness at Pressler's resignation.

"I think obviously what happened at Duke could've happened on any number of campuses," he said."

I don't think that's what he meant, but it's a pretty fabulous accidental indictment of lacrosse players.

I concur that it remains difficult to reserve official judgment on guys I would probably dislike very much if I ever met them.
 
I also think the email is a joke. (It's the spandex that gives it away.) But I don't get it. The impolitic idiocy of it aside, what's supposed to be funny about skinning strippers? I have a dirty mind and make 8yearoldsdude blush all the time, but I just can't imagine my way into a mindset where the humor works. Will someone please explain?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?