Monday, May 01, 2006

 

$240 worth of pudding.....awwww yeah.

Sit back, and I, I may tell you a tale.

So in Manitoba, we have these things called "socials." It sounds like a quaint midwestern word for a party, and to some degree that is true, but they are a very specific kind of party. They are held by an afianced couple several months before the wedding as a fundraiser for the wedding itself. They are held in community centers and have cheesy DJs. there are cover charges, and you can buy drinks, and there are raffles for stuff that the bride and groom get local businesses to donate The purpose is to go and have fun and spend money to support the young couple. It is interesting socialogically, because it only makes economic sense if all your friends attend one another's socials. It is a reciprical altruistic construct. Because no one has many thousands of dollars in savings, but every has $50, a extended family and or community essentailly puts on a wedding for each of its young couples.

But I digress. There is an odd mix of generations from the two families, and any other friends you can con into coming. So a friend's ex-boyfriend's brother was having a wedding social on friday. (The ex is a more distant friend.) At midnight, the "late night lunch" (traditionally cold cuts) is served to the guests. The family added a bit of Ukrainian flair and buttery goodness by adding pierogies. An established game at socials is to attempt to place cold cuts on the shoulders of others without them noticing. (by midnight you are tipsy and a bit antsy.) I am abjectly horrible at this.

There was an impressive demonstration of the "boot scoot boogie." Upon extended analysis of said boogie, it is simply the electric slide done while holding one's belt-buckle. swear to god. Is this true of all country line dancing?

so as 1 am rolls around, the drawings for the raffles begin. and I find myself the winner of........26 pounds of elk. not 25 pounds of elk, 26 pounds of elk. (Elk is apparently not measured in kilograms). Frozen. Butcher wrapped. I have ground elk, top round of elk, t-bones of elk, elk sirloin, and more. Who knew there was ground elk? Well, the elk was the prize of choice among the guests. It was singled out and drawn last except for the grand prize. I received a fair amount of good natured swearing from other guests. Thanks to the good people at Headingly Meats in Headingly Manitoba for donating 26 pounds of elk to the social. It will certainly make for an entertaining and proteinaceous 2007.

Comments:
What do you do with ground elk meat? You make sour cream elk enchiladas!
 
You lucky fucker. Shit. I wish I had won me some elk.
 
I for one never knew there was ground Elk. Until I moved to Wisconsin, I didn't know that people ate elk at all. Maybe I'm squeamish, but there are a number of red meats, like Buffalo and Deer, which taste really good, but which I enjoy a lot more whan I unknowingly mistake them for beef. I suspect Elk to be the same way.
 
dude. chili. I don't eat that stuff, but I hear cloven-hooved animals make great chili. More importantly: "You may be asking, 'Barry and Levon, where did you get $240 worth of pudding?'...shhhhh...don't you worry your pretty little head about it, baby."
 
Barry, Levon, dip your asses in this elk!

Was it Immanuel Kant or Andrew W.K. who said, "It is a categorial imperative that we get a party going."
 
I apologize for earlier forgetting to add:

"Their social norms and social rules. We're social scum and they're social fools. They tell us all their social lies. Ignoring all our social cries. We'll lose the game before we start. They watch us dance, we fall apart. Well, lets be ourselves and never be social. We'll play their game but never be social."
 
Um. Wow. I'm looking forward to your culinary explorations with elk. I say this with no hint of my usual sarcasm. Wow.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?