Thursday, September 28, 2006

 
I want to take a moment for Clinton Portis. Has anyone crafted a more offbeat, yet likeable football persona? I don't know his motivations and I don't pretend to, but the costume chacters (Bro Sweets, Jerome from Southeast, Dr. I Don't Know, Sherriff Gonna Getcha) simply exploded the paradigm of the formulaic sports interview. (For the not sports inclined, Portis made a habit of dressing up in different costume-shop wigs, glasses and fake mustaches every monday when he was obliged to be interviewed about the previous day's game. It was mind-blowing)

I also support his Charles Oakley throwback hairstyle. I think the understatement of his hair when juxtaposed the chad johnson's self-aggrandizing version of a nearly identical haircut explains my fondness for Portis well. He is incredibly fun without being distracting. (see phil ford on RBs vs. WRS--http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2587400.) On top of that he is incredibly good. Adios Champ Bailey.

It is very possible that I am heartbroken after the departure of LaVarr and this is simply a rebound. but Clinton Portis, we salute you.

Comments:
I'm not sure whether this post was in memorial, but Portis retired the costumed interviews (http://www.deadspin.com/sports/clinton%20portis/). Nevertheless, he rules. LaVar still sucks, though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?