Thursday, November 23, 2006

 
Happy Thanksgiving! Or as they say in Canada, "it's thursday."

being that it isn't a holiday here, I am graphing and emailing and meeting and generally having a thursday. delayed thanksgiving is scheduled for saturday at my place. Turkey brings up the inevitable question of stuffing. Members of my family absolutely suck at making stuffing. We have never made a decent one--ever. Everything I read talks about how the culinary world is totally over actually stuffing the bird (stuffy gets soggy, can't get the stuffing temp high enough for food safety, slows down turkey cooking) and you are supposed to cook your stuffing outside and call it "dressing." But I stuffed last year's turkey with a stuffing that was almost entirely white bread and newfie savoury. It was absolutely delicious. (Newfie savoury is apparently a locally grown dried herb. it's green. the internet does not recognize its existance.) so I might try that again. wish me luck. I am thinking of branching out to sweet potato pie from the usual pumpkin. (and no, Domino will not be making an appearance althoguh I am sure he is available.)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comments:
I agree; stuffing served on the side is like ice cream served in a bowl instead of on a cone. Objectively, it might taste the same, but something crucial is missing. I say, you stuff it inside the turkey or you go without it altogether.
 
Thanksgiving Thursday in another country is definitely a recipe for homesickness. Hope your pie turns out well. But one wonders, does the stuffing v. dressing debate break down across gender lines?
 
Sorry I read your post late, given that it is Saturday night, and your dinner has already been prepared. There is no debate on the stuffing issue. In-the-bird wins hands-down. Serve the sweet potatoes with dinner -- then go with apple pie for dessert -- laced with fresh ginger and perhaps cranberries. And for goodness sake, don't listen to Martha Stewart when it comes to turkey prep -- I did so this year, and she advised her viewers to add vegetables to the bottom of the turkey pan, which made the resultant gravy look and taste like mole sauce. Talk about an obstruction of justice! The bright side is that I had never actually watched Martha before -- and now I realize how spot-on that Saturday night live with Alec Baldwin discussing his Schweddy balls was in portraying her incredibly boring cadence.
 
...And for all that ass that she toted around, so I offered a backpack. And since I'm a mack, well you know how the story goes. So all you bros, freaks you know, here we go ...

Yes, a Domino reference truly is the highlight of my day. Easily outdistancing hearing "In a Big Country" on the radio.

Newfy Savoury sounds like it should be a kind of dog food.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?