Thursday, February 01, 2007

 

no drainpipes were harmed in the making of this post

there is a cultural myth that inuit have 98 words for snow. (They do have a bunch, but it is only about 20). And that the diversity of one's language on a subject indicates the need to delineate subtle differences easily. well, then canadians have 98 words for hockey. I learned a new one last night, "shinny." It is an informal version of ice hockey played with skates but no pads, and frequently goals marked with found objects. My armchair etymology assumed that it was called this because the puck could not go above the shin (which is a common aspect of shinny due to the lack of padding), but the word actually derives from the scottish game "shinty." shinny should not be confused with "spongee" which is basically the same thing, but without skates. according to wikipedia, spongee was developed because below -30C, skates cannot gain good traction on ice. I love canada.

I tried skating last night on my yard sale hockey skates. it was pretty hard. I had only skated with figure skates in the states, so I left huge gauges where the toe pick would have been at the end of each stride. it was fun, but very cold.

Comments:
I heard about shinny as a little boy, but I never heard of spongee until you first mentioned it in your blog. I've spent a lot of time in Ontario, and I love driving through a small town in the middle of nowhere, and seeing just an enormous, nice-looking hockey rink.

Hockey is to small towns in Ontario what basketball is to small towns in Indiana and football is to small towns in Texas -- a good high school or junior team gives the entire city something to cheer for, something to talk about, something to do on friday nights, and, perhaps most importantly, something to look forward to for eight months out of the year. These are the people who voted Don Cherry one of the ten most culturally significant Canadians of all-time. I love Canada.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?