Friday, March 09, 2007

 

games! stolen games!

if, by chance, you don't read laustintexas, I can't recommend these games enough. one is naming all 50 states as fast as you can. they other is naming as many UN sanctioned nations in 10 minutes. I think the country game is a lot more fun. careful, though. the game is suprisingly picky about spelling (No abbreviating the "Saint" in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines) and the use of articles (particularly involving the various congo states). But I did learn to spell azerbaijan and kyrgyzstan without flinching. I forgot Kazakhstan the first time through, naming only countries with inferior potassium.

Comments:
This is really fun. I got 49 states in just a couple of mintes, then struggled to think of the last one before realizing I had somehow overlooked Utah.

How many countries did you get? I haven't tried that one yet.
 
I had a very similar experience. i forgot illinois my first time through and had to wait 2 minutes before I thought of it. my hipster credentials were immediately revoked.

my first time through on countries I got about 130. I have pushed it to 160 with practice
 
My first time through with the countries I got 99. In retrospect I missed some obvious ones, like Switzerland and the Sudan. How could I forget about the Sudan, when I'm always criticizing politicians for forgetting about it? Shameful.

I hadn't ever heard of St. Kitts and Nevis. Having grown up half an hour's drive from St. Catherine's, Ontario, and knowing of the city of St. Catherines, Australia, I had always thought of St. Kitts as anglo shorthand for St. Catherine's.

Finding out that there is a country whose ACTUAL name is St. Kitts is a little like finding out that Larry Bird's actual give name is Larry Joe Bird.
 
I love the countries test! I got 117 on my first try. Could only get to 48 with the states. -EW
 
Do they have one for the Canadian provinces?

Let me give it a shot: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick.

Territories: Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nanavut? Nunavut?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?