Wednesday, April 18, 2007

 

everybody hates the fake encore at rock shows

terribly embarrassing, but I am probably going to keep writing this. why? because in the two days since I ended this, I have reverted to leaving multiparagraph comments on the rest of your blogs. and those overly long comments were actually the thing that started me writing in the first place. so apparently whatever mother lode of solilpsism and need for self-expression that drove me thus far doesn't seem to have gone away.

but this brings me to one of my favorite complaints which is now painfully relevant to myself: the fake encore. when you are at a show and the band goes off stage, but the house lights are still down. you know they are coming back or they would have raised the lights. so you have to sit there and clap and feel like a complete tool until the band comes back on. I feel strong negative feelings during these moments. I feel used. I am not cheering voluntarily, I am being forced to do so. I can see wanting a break to get some water before playing the last couple of songs. but then the band should just say "we'll be right back." anyway, my apologies for performing what could easily be misinterpreted as a fake encore. I would be more than a little unhappy with me if I were you.

what it really was was me having a continuous mid-level freakout about moving. my sincere apologies.

posting is going to get infrequent for the next 2 months as I move and take a blatant junket to iceland and try to take springydog camping.

and anyway, I couldn't end with such a terrible typo as using "than" instead of "then." That is one of my least favorite typos.

Comments:
It's been real, 8yod! Are you going to be in the DC area anytime soon? I ask because a mutual friend of our is premiering a certain documentary about Brazil the weekend of the 28th...
 
phew, glad that's over with.
 
I don't even know if they're still playing, but in their "day," Jimmie's Chicken Shack would make you chant "feed their egos" to get them to come back for an "encore." I always liked that they "got it".
 
Speaking of favorite and least-favorite typos, here is the best one of all time, taken from a letter written by an attorney at the law firm of Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt in Portland, Oregon:

"Mr. Lambert's hourly rate is currently $190.00 per hour. From time to time, because of the nature of the legal matters we will be working on, other attorneys in the office will be assfisting me. Their hourly rates vary, but . . ."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?